Monday, January 25, 2010

Georgia - To Life!




Georgia is a country that you could say is in Europe or Central Asia or the Middle East. Or, you might simply say that it is in the Caucasus region of Eurasia. However you say it, it’s where European and Asian and Middle Eastern cultures emerge. If that’s not intriguing enough for you, (or you’re not blown away by its beauty) visit Georgia for the people’s warmth and friendly hospitality. And, if you happen to go there, make sure you attend a traditional Georgian dinner so you can bare witness to the elaborate toasting and revelry, and the large amounts of wonderful food. There will also be heavy drinking and dancing and, perhaps, someone will read a poem. From this I take away that Georgians know how to enjoy life.

For our Georgian meal I could have made a number of things. In fact, I feel a little sheepish that all I made was chicken soup. If I had more time, or thought of having a Georgian party, I would have made a feast, or a supra. I cooked a very popular chicken soup called Chikhitma. It was very good but I’m now thinking that I should go back sometime and cook more Georgian dishes such as cheese pies, pickled eggplant and fish dishes, plus many more. Or, if I’m lucky, I’ll get invited to a Georgian feast.

Chikhitma

1 chicken
2 onions, chopped
1 TBSP flour
1 TBSP butter
2 eggs
1 tsp saffron
2 TBSP grape vinegar
Coriander
Salt and pepper

Cut the chicken in pieces, add to water and bring to boil. Skim the top. Remove the chicken when tender, strain the stock through a cheese cloth. Sautee the onion in butter, sprinkle with flour and brown. Return the chicken to the stock, thicken with brown flour and onion. Add saffron and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Separately boil the vinegar, add it to the soup, bring to a boil again and remove rom heat. Beat the egg yolks, combine with a little stock and then stir into the soup. Reheat but do not bring to a boil or the yolk will curdle. Sprinkle with coriander and serve. (I added chicken bouillon for more flavor)

No comments:

Post a Comment